Discussions on Rethinking Economics
stimulated by the Reith Lectures 2020
In his 2020 Reith Lectures, Mark Carney, once Governor of the Bank of England, challenged us with the overall question: How do we rethink the Economy and the economic aspect of life in the light of the three crises: credit crisis of 2008, Covid-19 crisis of 2020-21, and the coming climate crisis? This portion of the Christian Thinking Space website contains access to, and discussion of, his lectures.
The Reith Lecture Discussion Group was convened in December 2020 to discuss the lectures from a Christian and Reformational perspective. The discussions yielded the following items to assist study and rethink:
Results of Our Discussions
The Discussions Themselves
The following are notes from, transcripts of the discussions so far. The later discussions (e.g. 5 onwards) are fuller and have more highlighting of, and comments on, important issues:
Contents of Discussions
During 2022 discuss sections of the Rethink of Economics are being discussed and improved:
The discussions in 2021 were wide-ranging, stimulated by the Reith Lectures and going further:
- 14th Reith Lecturs Zoom Discussion 3rd December 2021
- The 13th RLDG Discussion: Overview, Moralities, Answering Student Questions and Complex Problem 12th November 2021
- The 12th RLDG Discussion: What We Have Achieved So Far 9th October 2021
- RLDG Discussion Number 11: Ideas for Contributing to SNA 2025, 27 August 2021
- Reith Lectures Discussion Number 10: Overview and Proposals, 16th July 2021
- Discussion 9, Overview of Findings, 25th June 2021
- Discussion 8, Part 3: on Christian Values and the Economy, 4th June 2021 - Justice, Service, Peace
- Discussion 7, Part 2 on How Can Christian Values contribute to the Economy? Part 2, 14th May 2021 - Faith, Joy, Justice.
- Discussion 6, on "How can Christian Values contribute to the Economy?" Part 1, 23 April 2021 - Grace, Hope, Love
- Discussion 5, on What Values Cannot be Measured?, 9 April 2021
- Discussion 4, on What Contributes to a Healthy Living Environment?, 12 March 2021 - Especially the Role of Christian Values.
- Discussion 3, on Measuring Value, 26 February 2021
Note: The records of discussions 1, 2 are more meagre.
Individual Pieces of the Discussion
The following are discussions of individual issues, set alongside the main discussions. Some of them were sent by email.
Created: 3 February 2021.
Last updated: 13 February 2021 second discussion, xn.values. 25 February 2021 see also. 5 March 2021 z3. 25 March 2021 z4. 16 April 2021 z5. 5 May 2021 z6. 31 May 2021 z7. 14 June 2021 z8. 24 June 2021 z-points, redid discussion bullets, spelling correction. 9 July 2021 z-points new title; added links to critiques of others; z9. 31 July 2021 z10. 1 August 2021 gestation. 31 August 2021 contents. 1 September 2021 z11. 10 October 2021 Organised page better; link to rldg.rethink. 25 October 2021 z12, and reversed order of discussions to have latest first. 2 December 2021 z13. 7 January 2022 z14. 19 March 2022 ze15, grouped the discussions. 13 May 2022 ze17. 21 June 2022 ze18. 15 July 2022 ze19, changed page title. 20 September 2022 ze20.