Reith Lectures 2020: Discussion
In his 2020 Reith Lectures, Mark Carney, once Governor of the Bank of England, challenged us with the overall question: How do we rethink the Economy and the economic aspect of life in the light of the three crises: credit crisis of 2008, Covid-19 crisis of 2020-21, and the coming climate crisis? This portion of the Christian Thinking Space website contains access to, and discussion of, his lectures.
The Reith Lecture Discussion Group was convened in December 2020 to discuss the lectures from a Christian and Reformational perspective. The discussions yielded the following items to assist study and rethink:
- Topics Covered during lectures and the subsequent discussions: a list of topics and comments made about them, and how they link together. This contains pointers to sources in the following files.
- Findings of the First Eight Discussion of the Reith Lectures, leading towards .
- On the Gestation of Externalities: Time in Economic Activity
The following are notes from, transcripts of the discussions so far. The later discussions (e.g. 5 onwards) are fuller and have more highlighting of, and comments on, important issues:
- Initial Comments from Participants up to 8 January 2021
- Discussion 2, 12 February 2021
- Discussion 3, on Measuring Value, 26 February 2021
- Discussion 4, on What Contributes to a Healthy Living Environment?, 12 March 2021 - Especially the Role of Christian Values.
- Discussion 5, on What Values Cannot be Measured?, 9 April 2021
- Discussion 6, on "How can Christian Values contribute to the Economy?" Part 1, 23 April 2021 - Grace, Hope, Love
- Discussion 7, Part 2 on How Can Christian Values contribute to the Economy? Part 2, 14th May 2021 - Faith, Joy, Justice.
- Discussion 8, Part 3: on Christian Values and the Economy, 4th June 2021 - Justice, Service, Peace
- Discussion 9, Overview of Findings, 25th June 2021
- Reith Lectures Discussion Number 10: Overview and Proposals, 16th July 2021
- Next meeting planned for end of August.
Created: 3 February 2021.
Last updated: 13 February 2021 second discussion, xn.values. 25 February 2021 see also. 5 March 2021 z3. 25 March 2021 z4. 16 April 2021 z5. 5 May 2021 z6. 31 May 2021 z7. 14 June 2021 z8. 24 June 2021 z-points, redid discussion bullets, spelling correction. 9 July 2021 z-points new title; added links to critiques of others; z9. 31 July 2021 z10. 1 August 2021 gestation.