Christian Values and the Economy
Email sent by CA on 11th February 2021:
I was thinking for the Reith Lecture, can we map say core Christian values to the economy. Like for example:
- Grace -- a subversive value! Giving people more than they deserve.
- Hope -- not a guarantee of immunity from harm but a conviction that God is always present
- Faith - the means to real depth in relationships of all kinds
- Love -- means to love the unlovely
- Justice -- for all (not 'just-me'). A concept biased in favour of the disadvantaged.
- Joy -- impossible to legislate for this but an essential social value
- Service -- meaning is found in service rather than self-centredness
- Peace-- not just the absence of fighting but positive well-being
How do we map these to the economy, in either direction? For example:
Peace- If US feel it is a steward of the world it needs to stop tradewar with China. Start thinking how we can work together to battle Covid as a world economy and then fix tradewar to give every economy a win-win at the end. This can be achieved through peaceful talks.
--- end of email.
I expect that this page will expand as these things are discussed.